Electrical Panel Services in San Diego
The electrical panel is the hub of your home’s electrical system. Keep it at its best with expert care from Point Loma Electric and Plumbing.
There are three parts to your electrical system: The utility company that supplies power to your home, the electrical panel which receives and then distributes the electricity to the wires in your home, and the wiring that carries the electricity from the panel throughout your home. The electrical panel is also called the circuit breaker box, fuse box or circuit panel. The electrical panel is the heart of your electrical system. This is where the electricity comes to your home from the utility to be distributed throughout your home. It is highly recommended not to ever try to service your own breaker box. Any service or repair work on electrical panels should always be left up to professionals.
For those located in the San Diego area, Point Loma Electric and Plumbing are the trained and trusted professionals to call. We are fully licensed, insured, and background checked — no exceptions. We also arrive in fully stocked trucks to ensure the efficiency of the appointment.
Even with a breaker panel upgrade, old wiring can still leave your home unsafe. We offer full electrical wiring services, including aluminum wiring remediation for those older homes in the area.
Signs Your Electrical Panel Needs Repair
Electrical panels do not have any moving parts with the exception of the circuit breakers which are designed to “trip” or turn off if there is an overload in the wires or a short circuit. If your circuit breakers trip, that means they are doing their job to prevent the wires behind your walls from overheating and creating a possible fire hazard in your home. Frequent tripping of your circuit breakers can be a sign of several types of electrical problems and should be evaluated by a qualified San Diego electrician.
Tripping circuit breakers is a nuisance however, if they trip it is for your safety. If a circuit or the wiring inside your home is overloaded by using too many appliances on one circuit, and the breaker does not trip, that is a far more dangerous situation. This is one reason you should have your breaker box evaluated regularly by a qualified electrician. There are certain brands of electrical panels such as Zinsco, Sylvania, and Federal Pacific panels which are no longer considered safe because the breakers not tripping when overloaded is a known hazard
A properly maintained electrical panel should last 20-30 years. With regular maintenance and care the life of your panel can be extended significantly.
You should have your electrical panel serviced if you experience any of the following issues:
- Frequent tripping of your breakers
- Once the breakers trip, they won’t reset
- Warmth in or behind the panel
- Lights flicker when you use appliances
- Humming noises inside the circuit breaker box
- If your electrical panel is older than 20 years and you do not ever experience tripped breakers, that can also be a warning sign. Breakers are designed to trip if a circuit is overloaded. If they are not tripping, then an electrician can evaluate if they are operating properly.
Any of these issues could be an indication that your system is close to an emergency situation. In some cases, it’s as simple as replacing a circuit breaker that has deteriorated with time. However, if the entire panel is damaged or your older San Diego area home is still using a fuse box, this is a cause for concern.
When to Replace Your Electrical Panel
Age and the need to bring additional power to the home are the most common reasons to replace your electrical panel. Typically, an electrical panel will last you 30 years, even longer with regular maintenance.
When older homes were built, many of today’s appliances such as microwaves, hairdryers, air conditioning and spas did not even exist. Many older homes still have 100 amp or sometimes even 60 amps of electricity coming into the home. With today’s modern electrical appliances, most homes need 125 to 200 amps of electricity to support today’s lifestyles. Older electrical panels do not have the capacity to add more circuits to a home for safety and functionality.
If you live in an older home with the original electrical panel, you should have it evaluated for function and safety. You may need more circuits than your panel can accommodate or it may not be functioning properly to protect your home. Electrical panels should only be serviced by qualified electricians. If your panel is in poor condition, past it’s useful lifespan or not able to support your electrical needs, it may be time to replace your panel
Signs It’s Time for Home Electrical Upgrade Services
Age isn’t the only reason you might need an electric panel upgrade.
Some reasons a breaker box replacement is necessary are:
- You are using many electrical devices or have added appliances such as a microwave, air conditioner, electric vehicle charger, or spa
- Smelling something burning near your breaker box
- There’s a burn mark on the wall
- Wires are melted
- A strange hissing sounds coming from the box
- Frequent breaker tripping due to overloaded circuits
If you just moved into a home and you are realizing your electrical needs are more than your electrical panel can accommodate, this is also a reason for a breaker box upgrade. Additionally, it’s important to search your home for a sub panel. In some instances, individual appliances that require more power have a separate sub panel box that will need to be serviced by experts. When you call Point Loma Electric and Plumbing you are getting trained and insured professionals that have the knowledge and experience to get the job done right.
Purchasing an older home in the area? Be sure to schedule a home safety inspection – the best way to assess any potential electrical faults or code issues.
Electric Panel Upgrades for San Diego Homes
Upgrading your San Diego home’s electrical panel is an excellent decision, and Point Loma Electric and Plumbing simplifies the process. Our expert electricians provide a number of beneficial home electrical panel upgrades. Here’s how we can help:
- Adding circuit breaker: If your breaker box is moderately new but could use an update, we can add more circuit breakers. More circuit breakers will help you meet your electricity demands with a reliable safety net protecting your home.
- Expanding with a sub-panel: A sub-panel is a second panel that connects to the original to reduce strain. Sub-panels are great options for homeowners who use a lot of power across numerous rooms.
- Installing a new panel: If your electric panel is old or if you live in an older home with an outdated fuse box, upgrading your panel can help you meet demand safely.
Benefits of Upgrading Your Home’s Breaker Box
Safe, reliable electricity is crucial for any modern homeowner. Point Loma Electric and Plumbing brings your home’s electrical system into the future with a new breaker box. You’ll see numerous immediate and long-term benefits from upgrading your panel:
- Safety: Your family and property’s safety are top concerns, and upgrading your panel will give you peace of mind. Modern panels with fresh wires are less susceptible to electrical fires.
- Supply: Modern homes use more electricity than in the past. You may have trouble powering all of your appliances, devices and fixtures on your old breaker. A home electrical upgrade will satisfy your demand.
- Versatility: Updating your breaker will give you room to grow — it will handle renovations and power more devices.
- Value: Modern electricity is a priority for many prospective buyers. Upgrading your breaker will help you attract buyers and command higher offers.
- Savings: New breakers are safer, and your insurance provider may require a certain brand of electrical panels to be replaced. Upgrading will open the door for an insurance cost reduction.
Don’t Put Off Electrical Panel Repair
Putting off residential electrical panel replacement and repairs is dangerous. You could potentially put yourself, your home, and even your neighbors in danger if you neglect electrical issues. Every year, there are approximately 51,000 electrical fires around the world. When you leave breaker panel issues unresolved, it can quickly escalate into a house fire.
It’s always best to be on the safer side of things when dealing with electrical issues – especially when it may be something as simple as an electrical breaker box repair or restoration instead of a full replacement. Don’t let things get out of hand. Point Loma Electric and Plumbing will keep you safe and have over 33 years of successful service to show for it.
Why Point Loma Electric and Plumbing?
Put your electrical panel needs in the hands of a dependable company. Point Loma Electric and Plumbing employs expert technicians who are ready to resolve your issue while respecting your property and schedule.
Our electricians specialize in older homes, making us the ideal company to work with for panel upgrades. You can expect transparent prices, friendly service and five-star workmanship worthy of our lifetime warranty every time you contact Point Loma Electric and Plumbing. You can call us at (619) 224-0672 for all of your electrical panel needs.
Point Loma Electric and Plumbing has served the greater San Diego area for the last 30+ years and counting. From upgrades to repair, we have you covered!