Electrical Wiring Services in San Diego
Electrical wiring is key to keep lights on and outlets working in your San Diego area home. If your wiring is damaged or outdated, our electricians can help!
Readily available electrical power is truly a modern marvel. For over a hundred years, the power that electricity provides has been lighting our homes and powering our appliances. The technology has changed a lot over that time and electrical technology has gotten safer and more efficient.
However, if your San Diego, CA home has older electrical components and wiring, you could be at risk. Older homes were not designed to be able to power the large loads that are common today and they were often wired with materials that have fallen out of use. As a result, many homeowners are opting to have their homes rewired to remove the threat that old wiring can pose. At Point Loma Electric and Plumbing, we specialize in mitigating the threats that older wiring poses to your home and can work to protect you and your family from the dangers of old wiring.
Even with the best wiring, if your electrical panel is out of date, you could still be holding your electrical system back. Work with our licensed electricians for all your panel upgrade needs.
What is a Whole-Home Rewiring?
The goal of rewiring is to mitigate the risk of property damage that results from electrical problems and fires. Some of the common signals that your wiring is out of date include:
- Flickering Lights: If you turn on an appliance and notice lights are flickering in another area of your home, old wiring could be to blame. In some instances, the wiring is unable to handle the electrical load, which is what’s causing the flickering. It’s essentially lowering the flow of power in one area of your home to accommodate another.
- Power Outages: Do you have outlets that are without power? Does one area of your home turn off if you turn on a dishwasher? Power outages and flipped breakers are a clear indication that your system is unable to accommodate the power demands in your home.
- Signs of Burning: Whether the faceplate on your outlets have burn marks or there’s a burning smell behind the walls, fire concerns need to be addressed immediately. They’re one of the most damaging side effects of old wiring and could lead to extensive damage.
- High Energy Costs: While harder to notice, if your electrical costs are on the rise, poor wiring could be to blame. As the wiring struggles to keep the electrical current flowing properly, it may overload certain areas or increase usage.
For peace of mind, the best option to remove the risk of outdated wiring is to have the professionals at Point Loma Electric and Plumbing rewire your whole home or large portions of it. Whole-home rewiring can be a fairly involved process and is usually done during an extensive remodel or total rehabilitation of an old property.
Aluminum Wire Remediation
Depending on the age of your home, it might be wired with aluminum wiring. While aluminum wiring is a perfectly acceptable conductor and is still used in many applications, it does present some hazards that make it incompatible with newer wiring methods. Aluminum wiring doesn’t necessarily need to be replaced, however, the biggest concern with this material is where the connections are made. The most expedient option to remove the risks that come with aluminum wiring is to have our electricians perform an aluminum wire remediation.
During remediation, electricians will use special connectors, often made of copper, to upgrade the portions of your home’s wiring that hook into appliances and fixtures. By repairing or upgrading these connections, you can trust that you have better connectivity throughout your home.
Having the experts at Point Loma Electric and Plumbing perform remediation will save you the cost of having to rewire your entire home and also prevent the risk of a property-damaging fire.
Has old wiring caused damage to your outlets and switches? Not only can we upgrade those receptacles, but also we can add a layer of safety with a GFCI outlet installation.
The Importance of Electrical Troubleshooting
Electrical technology and installation methods have changed a lot since it began being included in San Diego homes over a hundred years ago. Electrical codes are constantly being updated to ensure the safety of electrical components in your home. As a result of the change in technology and methods, troubleshooting electrical problems in older homes can be particularly troublesome for electricians that have never worked on older homes. Our electricians can help with wiring issues like:
- Flickering lights
- Outlets with no power
- Sparks during connections
- Fluctuations in electrical currents
- Intermittently working switches and dimmers
- Damaged appliances
- And more
At Point Loma Electric and Plumbing we specialize in electrical troubleshooting in older homes. In over 32 years of operation, we have seen all the problems that a hundred years of outdated electrical technology can throw at us. We pride ourselves on a high level of craftsmanship and providing our services with minimal disruption to you and your home.
Worried about the risks that your home’s wiring may pose? Call the experts at Point Loma Electric and Plumbing today at (619) 224-0672 for help. Get the peace of mind you deserve by taking advantage of their expertise.