JD’s Blog | Did You Know? Ceiling Fans Can Reduce Summer Cooling Costs!
A ceiling fan is one of the few home appliances that can save you money! The average ceiling fan consumes about 100 watts (that’s the same as a single light bulb!) as compared to an air conditioner that consumes 2,000 watts.
A ceiling fan helps you feel cooler because of the slight wind chill it creates on your skin. That means you can raise the thermostat and feel just as comfortable. For every degree that you raise the air conditioning thermostat above 78 degrees, you can save 3% to 8% in cooling costs. When combining a ceiling fan with air conditioning in hot weather, ceiling fans combine old technology with new to keep your family comfortable – all while saving money and energy.
Features to Look For
- Blade Pitch. The width of the blade and height of its angle (i.e., the pitch) is important. More air gets moved as the blade width gets wider and the pitch gets higher. A pitch of about 12 to 14 degrees is optimal.
- Motor Quality. Be sure to invest in a fan that has a motor with sealed and lubricated ball bearings. This will ensure less maintenance during the lifespan of the fan.
- Energy Star-rated Fans. Energy Star-rated fans are 50% more efficient than conventional ones because of their qualifications, including 30-year motor warranty and airflow specifications of 1,250 CFM on low speed and 5,000 CFM on high speed.
Point Loma Electric is also able assist you with your ceiling fan installation or replacement needs, including:
- Variable speed ceiling fan switches and remote controls
- Reversible ceiling fans for summer and winter
- Ceiling fan lights
- Ceiling fans for room with low ceilings
- Outdoor ceiling fans for decks, patios, sun rooms, etc.
Why You Should Hire Us for Your Ceiling Fan Installations
We take pride in completing your ceiling fan installations with minimal disruption to your life and home. We work promptly and efficiently, and we stand behind our work and promise a thorough clean up. We are the San Diego electricians you can rely on when you find your home in need of ceiling fan services. As fully licensed and insured San Diego electrical contractors, we have the experience and expertise to handle all your ceiling fan installation, repair and replacement needs!
Point Loma is currently running a promotion for installation of a ceiling fan for $149! Limitations apply so feel free to call us for details and to schedule your appointment today. Ceiling fans are a great way to reduce your cooling costs this summer while also beautifying your home. Call us today!