JD’s Blog | Time for Your Checkup!
Just as a person needs regular checkups to maintain perfect health, your house needs regular safety checkups to ensure the safety of the electrical systems.
As the minimum standard for electrical safety in the U.S., electricians work under the national electrical code (NEC) when inspecting homes. This code defines the parameters within which the inspection must be conducted.
Electrical Safety Tips
Please follow these electrical safety tips to ensure you are safe in your home:
- Loose electrical cords. If you notice any loose electrical cords in your home make it a priority to either replace or repair them the first chance you get.
- Use of extension cords. If you are in habit of using extension cords to plug in your electrical devices, try to avoid running them through open doors and never under carpets.
- Child proofing. If you have children in your home make sure to install a tamper-resistant receptacle that is designed to keep your children from being electrocuted. They are now required.
- Read the manual. There is a reason why every appliance comes with an instruction manual! If you are not going to read the entire manual, at least go through the power and grounding requirements page.
- Overloading outlets. Refrain from overloading the outlets, plug only one high consumption appliance in an outlet at any given time. With the wide spread use of extension cords, fires are known to breakout due to overload. Sometimes, old circuit breakers do not trip due to overloads.
- Check for loose receptacle slots where cords plug in. If the cord end is not tight in the wall socket, it can cause a meltdown.
However, if your electrical system is over 30 years old, it should be checked out for potential safety issues. Point Loma Electric will help you take precautions to help you prevent electrical fires or electric shock due to faulty wires or appliances. Taking proactive safety precautions is a great way to prevent injury and loss. For your safety and peace of mind we offer an electrical safety checkup for your home’s electrical wiring and panel.
Importance of Having an Electrical Safety Checkup
Electrical safety checkups are a thorough examination of the entire electrical scheme that ensures all the wires, components, panels, and appliances of your home meet the legal safety standards. A safety checkup will ensure safety from hazards such as short circuits, being electrocuted, or from an electrical fire breaking out. Ensure the safety of your loved ones and have regular safety checkups conducted at your home.
What to Expect from the Electrical Safety Checkup
One of Point Loma Electric‘s qualified, licensed electricians will visit your home and check your homes electrical system and panel. A detailed written checklist will be filled out and given to you on site. Our electrical safety checkup will let you know of any areas that need immediate attention, recommendations for improvements and potential electrical upgrade possibilities for your home.
Help protect the ones you love by calling Point Loma Electric today. Isn’t it time you got your home’s electrical system inspected? Call us today to schedule your electrical safety checkup!