San Diego Electrical Safety, Electrical Inspections and Electrical Fires
Electrical Fire and Home Safety Information:
Electrical fires are a common occurrence in the United States, causing injuries, claiming lives, and resulting in losses of property. Most electrical fires are caused by old wiring and faulty outlets or loose connection. Damage to appliance cables and extension cords and plugs can also lead to electrical fires in the home. It’s important to check your electrical appliances and wiring on a routine basis. This can help to prevent electrical fires in your home. Below is information and tips to help you learn more about electrical fires, hidden hazards, safety tips and circuit interrupters . If you have any concerns about the safety of your homes wiring or electrical system, it is always a good idea to call a licensed electrical contractor to examine your panel and home wiring. They can tell you if you have any hazardous conditions that need attention.
- Home appliance fires, annually, cause an estimated 9,600 fires, 525 injuries, 25 deaths, and $211 million in property loss.
- There is a home fire death an average of every three hours nationwide.
- Every year, fires started in electrical systems or lighting equipment result in damage to more than 24,000 homes and cause 830 civilian injuries and 320 civilian deaths.
Electrical Safety Tips
- Consider having the wiring inspected in your home if you live in a house that is over twenty years old. If the house is over forty years old, an inspection should be immediate.
- Always follow the usage instructions on all appliances.
- Fix electrical or appliance problems right away. Use caution if fuses blow often, switches become hot or cause shocks, or circuit breakers trip often.
- Never place electrical cords under bedding or rugs. Sparks or heat from the wiring can cause a fire.
- Check labels on lighting fixtures and lamps to ensure you are using the right size bulbs. Check the label on the fuse box to ensure you are using the right size fuses.
- Always cover unused electrical outlets with plastic plugs.
- If a cable or cord has three-prongs, always use it properly. Do not remove the extra prong as the appliance must be grounded to reduce the risk of electrical shocks.
- Extension cords should not be used as permanent cords in homes.
- Routinely check your electrical appliances, electronics and wiring for signs of damage.
- Replace all damaged, old, or worn appliance cords immediately and do not use appliances with frayed wiring.
- Keep electrical appliances away from wet counters and floors. Be cautious when using electrical appliances in the kitchen and bathroom.
- Do not allow children to play with or around electronics or electrical appliances, including hair dryers, space heaters, and irons.
- Keep curtains, clothes, and other combustible items at least three feet away from heaters.
- Some electrical appliances are designed to be left “ON” all the time. Check the manufacturer directions if you are unsure.
- Learn the wiring colors and be sure to follow all instructions given by the manufacturer when fitting a plug.
- Make sure you have smoke detectors located in your home as directed by code. Check the smoke detectors for proper operation every year.
- GFI recpetacles are now required in kitchens, bathrooms and outdoors or anywhere there may be water. If your home was built before GFI’s were required, you should consider having them installed for your safety.
Hidden Electrical Hazards
Unsafe home conditions that can lead to fire include:
- Damaged plug wires, extension cords or electrical conductors.
- Short or overloaded circuits
- Use of modified, unapproved or faulty electrical equipment
- Insufficient clearance between combustibles and electrical heating equipment
- Loose electrical connections
- Unsafe electrical work installed by handymen or homeowners
Warning signs of electrical dangers:
- Reccurring problems with blowing fuses in appliances or tripping circuit breakers
- Tingling sensation when touching an electrical appliance
- Sparks coming from an outlet or discolored or warm wall outlets
- A continuous burning smell from a room or appliance
- Lights that frequently flicker or dim
If you are looking for electrical safety inspections in San Diego, please call us at 619-224-0672 or fill out our online request form.
- JD's Blog | How Do You Really Know They've Improved The Taste of Dog Food?
Or How Do You Really Know When Your Home’s Electrical System is in Need of An Overhaul? A Detailed Discussion on Needs vs. Wants. In case you’re wondering, I once heard that a catchier headline will capture a wider audience. What exactly has led you to even consider an electrical upgrade? Did an electrician or...Read More
- JD's Blog | Is LED Lighting Right for My Business?
LED lights, also known as light emitting diodes, are a technological advancement with countless practical applications. They are solid, small light diodes that are known for their energy efficiency and long life. When compared to traditional incandescent light bulbs; the durability of LED lights is exceptionally longer, as much as 60,000 times more; and the...Read More